Friday, August 31, 2007

Oh, what? School has started?

It's a good a sign as any that we're pretty thouroughly entrenched in this homeschooling/unschooling/life learning/child-led learning/home learning thing that I didn't even realize the schools had started until almost an entire week after the fact. (I had to look up the school dismissal times to schedule my dance classes.)

Last year we happened to be out and about on the first day of school, and I was very aware of the fact that there was an entire range of ages absent from daily life. (It was slightly spooky, to be perfectly honest. Sure, kids can be noisy, and messy, and just all around boisterous, but all-in-all I prefer them to actually be a part of the world I inhabit from day-today.) This year we were just so busy with living our lives that school starting just didn't register. (I think this also might be a sign of my increasing confidence in our ability to educate our own children, and progress in the whole process of "de-schooling" myself from 12 years of indoctrination, er, uh, I mean schooling. ;)

Although once I found out school had indeed started, I immediately thought - Ooooh! Let's go to the zoo! It won't be crowded! (That's one of those little-known benefits to homeschooling that doesn't always get mentioned. That and being able to sleep in and have a big warm breakfast in the morning. ;))

The kids are up camping with Grandma and Papa this weekend. Their cousin and uncle will be there as well, so they should have an absolute blast. When they get back, Bannanarama and I have decided that we should collaborate on a zine titled "Why seizures suck...for seizure haters everywhere!" (She has had a few seizures. They, um, suck. And adjusting to some of the safety stuff has been a bit difficult for my miss independent.)

I start jury duty on Tuesdy, so keep your fingers crossed that nothing exciting happens in Poky-tater, okay?

No comments: