Tuesday, July 29, 2008

It's a Treasure Hunt!


Also known as geocaching! We went to Twinkie Flats, and our cousins from North Carolina and my big sis took us out geocaching. For those of you not familiar with it, using a GPS you hunt down boxes that have been hid by other geocachers, and filled with fun little trinkets. You take some trinkets, and leave some to replace those you took. Very fun!

When we arrived home, we were still in the mood for some treasure hunting, but alas! We don't own a GPS. So, it was letterboxing to the rescue! Rather than exchanging trinkets, you will find a box with a (sometimes handcarved!) stamp in it. You stamp it into your logbook, and then stamp the book found in the letterbox with your own personal "signature" stamp. (Once again, hand-carved is always good!) We found this one on our first trip out. (I tried to crop the photo so as not to give away the location. :))

For more information on either activity, and to sign up so you can log in your finds, go to:
Geocaching.com

Or:
LetterBoxing North America

1 comment:

RainbowMom said...

Wow. I love that you homeschool. In a heartbeat, I could homeschool but it hasn't worked out that way for us. Although, I think they learn more at home when I keep them from school for a 'rest' day then they do at school! ;) I'll be keeping up with your lovely Adventure to be sure. Peace! Tammy